YES! We finally started to frame the roof today. I am particularly excited about this because I can finally see the real height and design of the house in front of me instead of just in my head and on paper.
First we put up the ridge beam that we built about a week ago. It’s attached to each end of the house with metal brackets and desperately needed some support in the middle until the rest of the roof can keep it from sagging. The braces we keep making for the walls, dormers, and ridge beam have helped keep everything square as well until the framing is completely done. Next we started to frame out the “A” portion back over the loft area. The physical construction of the roof framing wasn’t too hard, but the math and angles were an absolute pain to figure out. The other issues with angles is how the pieces eat up 2x4s and create a ton of leftover bits…because each board needed to be just over 4 feet long, I couldn’t get 2 out of each 2×4 I had so there’s a sizable pile of scraps now. Don’t you worry! I’ll use them for something (interior items, firewood, turning them into sawdust for the composting toilet, donating to Habitat, etc.)
We also managed to frame out most of the above-dormer section that’s in the middle of the roof. There are some triangular parts that need more pieces and then some extensions out the front and back of the structure, but I’d say we’re 80% done with framing the roof!