Tiny House Tour

Dad and I took the house up to Manassas, VA last week. What a trip! We were interviewed by several reporters and had a blast letting everyone see it.

With this media coverage came some interesting questions from commenters that I’d like to address. This might step on some toes, but here goes:

My school isn’t a diploma mill. AMU is regionally accredited and respected by students, organizations, and businesses. A lot of folks have issues with online education in general, and I totally get that. Please don’t bash my school specifically though when you don’t even bother to research it. Also, my BA is from Virginia Tech and I graduated when I was 19…ok, off my soapbox.

Second, I don’t live in a McMansion and I don’t plan to park this house in someone’s yard as a secondary home. I live in a 250 square foot apartment in a very eco-friendly cohousing development. How’s that for a small footprint?

Third, yes I hate that I’m selling this house. I wouldn’t hesitate to live in it full time! The reality is that I need to return the money I borrowed to build this house. I do not expect a huge ROI and do not plan on building and selling more of these as a business. Also, I can’t disclose how much I really have invested in the house because it’s not done yet :-)

Fourth, this is way better than a camper. Perhaps a used camper would be more environmentally friendly, but now how would that be a good thing for a whole Master’s thesis?

I did in fact do most of the work. My dad was absolutely key to the success of this project, but he taught me to do everything on it by having me do the physical work. I can now frame walls, install siding, wall panels, trim, plumbing (sort of), painting, wiring with my own knowledge. He’s been a great teacher!

Finally, I am so thankful for all the positive feedback I’ve received. To all the haters- pretty sure you’re just upset you don’t get to do an awesome project like this!

About these ads
This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Tiny House Tour

1. Jamie says:

I think you and Your Dad, did a great job!

2. Ruth Kling says:

I think you, your dad, and the tiny house are all wonderful! I love that you used recycled pallets whenever suitable. I can’t imagine why anyone would be negative about this project, but as you said, they are just jealous. Keep up the good work. If you are looking for another project I have a shed I’d like to turn into a passive solar art studio…? ;)

3. Ruth Kling says:

Thanks for the encouragement. I was thinking about contacting a program such as the one you did your project for, to assist with the design and building of a passive solar art studio. Do you think a grad student would be interested in such a project? I can pay for the materials but i have very little money and some physical limitations, but I would like to do some of the work, as much as I can manage anyway. The shed is 12″ by 15″, not insulated or hooked up to electricity, but has a good southern exposure!

Did you use wool to insulate your house? I noticed that was used on another tiny house blog. Very cool (or should I say warm ;) )

• Sarah says:

I think you could find an undergrad student, at the very least. Consider contacting building and architecture departments at nearby schools…I bet someone would take it on as a project.

I considered wool, but it got pricey. I also looked at the jeans insulation, but again cost was an issue. Maybe on my next one :)

4. Jim says:

Sarah, you and your dad did a great job! I can;t believe anyone would say anything negative about it!

5. Jason says:

Hi Sarah, congrats on finishing the house!

I’d like to invite you to join Tiny House House which is a tiny house web forum. We would love to have you as part of the community.

– Jason